Learn & Earn - Culinary Intern - Gables at Winchester
Anticipated Start and End Dates: September – December 2022 | Fall Semester
Job Address: 299 Cambridge Street Winchester, MA 01890
Hours Per Week: 20+ hours per week - flexible
Preferred Days of Week: TBD
Work Hours: TBD
Pay Rate and Travel Stipend: $18.00 per hour and a one-time Travel/Wi-Fi Stipend
Internship Class: INT-299 Internship Class will be taken during Fall 2022 semester
** A CORI/SORI check will be conducted if applying for this internship. **
**If chosen for an internship, you will take the three credit INT-299 Learn and Earn fall internship course (you pay for the course the same as all other courses). **
The intern will rotate through all positions: Wait Staff, Sous Chef, and Cook.
Wait Staff Functions & Specifications
Function: Serves residents seated in the dining room in a professional manner following established procedures.
- Takes resident(s) meal orders and serves meals correctively and efficiently.
- Assists residents to make selections at the cafeteria line, places food on trays and carries trays to resident’s tables.
- Sets tables with napkins and tableware. Refills condiments and salt and pepper shakers.
- Sets up and keeps salad and dessert counter supplied. Makes coffee, tea, juices and stocks coffee bar.
- Clears table and buses dishes to dish room.
- Cleans dining room tables and chairs and vacuums dining room.
- Delivers trays to rooms of ill residents.
- May perform all kitchen helper and dishwasher duties as needed.
Cook Functions & Specifications
Function: Prepares and serves attractive, nutritious meals in accordance with state regulation and Five Star policies and procedures to ensure that quality food service is always provided.
- Prepares and serves all meals for assigned shifts including special events.
- Ensures all leftovers are covered, labeled, dated and stored in the proper place.
- Assists the Food & Beverage Service Director in assigned responsibilities or acts as Food & Beverage Service Director as assigned.
- Check menus daily for any required advance preparation. Notes substitutions on the posted menu and maintains various recipes in absence of Food & Beverage Service Director.
- Prepares food using proper food handling and food safety techniques according to established policies and regulations. Maintains the proper temperature of food during preparation and serving.
- Responsible for portion control, following the menus and time schedules and plate presentation for each meal. Uses proper tasting techniques to ensure quality taste and palatability prior to serving.
- Prepare nourishments as requested.
- Uses food, supplies and equipment in an efficient and economic manner to prevent waste.
- Ensure that all electrical and gas appliances are turned off before leaving kitchen area and at end of the shift.
- Performs assigned cleaning duties according to established policies and utilizes the proper cleaning chemicals. Keeps work areas clean and uncluttered during meal preparation and service
- Washes pots, pans, serving utensils, etc. according to established procedures for manual and/or automatic dishwashing. Stores items appropriately to prevent contamination.
- Assists in receiving, storage and verifying of invoices for incoming food and supplies as indicated by supervisor. Reports inadequate stock levels to the supervisor in a timely manner. Ensures that food storage areas are kept clean and well organized.
- Some Wait Staff Functions will apply.
Sous Chef Functions & Specifications
Function: Oversees planning, preparations and delivery of breakfast, lunch, dinner and special event food and beverage service daily to residents of the community. Supervises cooks and other personnel engaged in specialty cooking, preparation, presentation and serving of food and beverage items.
- Plans, tests and costs new menus and menu items for daily breakfast, lunch and dinner meal services, as well as special events.
- Orders, distributes and stocks using cost control all food supplies. Inspects the quality and quantity of these items when delivered.
- Maintains food and nutritional standards set by the company.
- Functions as a supervisor over cooks and other food service personnel engaged in the preparation, cooking and serving of food items. May also participate as a team member in food preparation.
- Assists in training and instruction employees on food preparation, cooking and serving of food items to ensure that all items are presented properly.
- Assigns and monitors all work activities of food service personnel.
- Coordinates workflow and schedules to ensure that deadlines are met, and that policies and procedures are followed.
- Participates in interviewing and selection of food service personnel, as well as the performance and evaluation of assigned employees.
- Recommends personnel actions including hiring, termination, promotion, discipline, as well as layoff and recall.
- Arranges for the repair or replacement of kitchen equipment.
- Designs, prepares and directs the preparation of decorated foods, artistic food arrangements, and non-edible display work including table setting, table decoration and ice carvings.
- Answers resident inquiries and correspondence related to the overall food service operation and dining area.
- Operates computer to accurately place orders and type work related correspondence and documents.
- Some Wait Staff and Cook Functions will apply.
General Responsibilities For All Positions:
- All duties and responsibilities listed are essential job functions. Marginal functions that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties have been excluded.
- Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
- Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, incumbent will possess the mental abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- Follows work schedules and completes assigned tasks in accordance with the established policies and procedures of the facility.
- Maintains the confidentiality of residents at all times (i.e. when answering telephone and/or speaking with coworkers) and using fax machines and electronic messaging.
- Cooperates with interdepartmental personnel to ensure that the needs of the residents are met.
- Demonstrates a positive working relationship with residents, visitors and facility staff.
- Effectively interacts with staff members and residents and readily assists coworkers as needed.
- Complies with and exemplifies the Five Star values.
- We mind the business
- We work to be our best
- We listen and act decisively
- We act with integrity
- We put people first
- Ensures that the department is maintained in a safe manner according to established policies. Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment and malfunctioning equipment to the supervisor and/or maintenance as directed. Operates food preparation equipment according to manufacturer and supervisor instructions.
- Completes work assignments within specified time frames.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Adheres to Human Resource policy and procedures as well as department dress code, good hygiene and safe work practices.
- Must pass CORI/SORI check.
- Currently enrolled at BHCC.
- Demonstrates effective time management skills.
- Demonstrates active listening techniques, gains support through effective relationships, treats others with dignity and respect and seeks feedback.
Education and/or Experience:
- Ability to work in a team environment, work flexible shifts, communicate effectively in English to receive food or drink orders and give responses.
- Must enjoy working with the elderly and able to accept constructive criticism. Ability to interact with residents who are highly susceptible to common illness without posing additional health risks and must maintain good personal hygiene and wear a uniform.
- Knowledge of culinary terminology.
- Demonstrated skilled in culinary techniques including menu design, food preparation and artistic food design.
- Ability to safely operate kitchen utensils and food equipment.
- Ability to proficiently operate computer equipment for data entry and retrieval.
Kadee Tapley - Learn and Earn Coordinator ● firstname.lastname@example.org